The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) went into effect on 25th May 2018. Due to the importance of complying with the regulation, we want to ensure you receive clear guidance and a consistent message from Rakuten Advertising.
We encourage you to learn more about GDPR and What it Means for Publishers.
It is important that you understand your obligations as a business for the GDPR and make any necessary amendments to be compliant. Rakuten Advertising is available to help support our partners through the GDPR process to ensure that they are in compliance. Depending on your specifics, there are several options (outlined below) available to you to become GDPR compliant with Rakuten Advertising.
In the event that your use-case is not captured, please contact Customer Support to discuss your situation and determine the options available to you.
Use-case 1: Partners integrated with an IAB approved CMP
Use-case 2: Partners using a Cookie Banner or non-IAB compatible CMP
If you use a Cookie Banner, you must first ensure the following:
- Your cookie banner must meet the following criteria:
- You must have a cookie banner.
- It must say the cookies are used for personalized ads − verbiage such as “to provide a better user experience” will be considered vague.
- It must require a positive action (e.g. clicking an “accept” button) and be visible on subsequent pages until the user provides consent.
- There must be an easy way to opt-out/change choice. This can be implemented through third parties like the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA).
Use-case 3: Partner has implicit consumer consent based on membership (E.g. Loyalty)
If you are capturing the consumer’s consent through your terms and conditions agreement, you can pass the corresponding GDPR consent string within the Rakuten Advertising affiliate link. Contact Customer Support for more details.
Use-case 4: All others
If you do not currently have a GDPR solution, Rakuten Advertising has developed a lightweight GDPR consent pop-up solution built within our Publisher Activation Tag. The Publisher Activation Tag is a compliance solution for the purpose of collecting and passing user consent signals to Rakuten Advertising at the time of the user's click on a Rakuten Advertising affiliate link.
More articles about compliance:
Please sign in to leave a comment.