The Road Map to Success for New Publishers
Please review these affiliate marketing requirements and recommendations before joining the Rakuten Advertising and getting started with your affiliate marketing efforts!
On our road map to success for publishers, there are several phases. Ideally, the first few steps in Phase I below should be completed before you join Rakuten Advertising. Preparing your business plan and your website in advance will help ensure your success in affiliate marketing. You should develop a regular, daily following or consistent monthly traffic to your website first. This is an exciting, fast-growing and changing area of e-commerce that will require your time and attention. Detailed guidance about how to complete these steps is outside the scope of the service we currently provide. However, we realize these initial steps are critical to your success. Below are some of the many resources available to help you.
Phase I: Build your site, your business model, branding, following, and website traffic
- Choose your market niche & focus
- Determine your business model & plan
- Build your website, blog, or custom social media site with original, quality content and add to it frequently
- Generate traffic to your site & build your audience
- Understand basic affiliate marketing monetization & how it fits your site
Some suggested "getting started" resources for publishers from external sources (available in English only):
- Learn How to Build High Quality Affiliate Websites (paid course from Udemy)
- Extra Money Answer: How to Create, Promote, and Monetize an Affiliate Site (eBook by Shawn Collins)
- Affiliate Marketing Fundamentals (course on Lynda.com [you can start with a free trial and then join the service for a low monthly fee for continuing education])
- How to Write Your Own Money Making Websites (paid course from AWAI)
- FTC Affiliate Disclosure Guidelines
- Google Webmaster Blog, Google Webmaster Tools Help Center, SEOMoz Blog, Bruce Clay SEO Blog and free SEO tutorial, Search Engine Land
- Google search results algorithm - the importance of a mobile-friendly website
- Conversion Rate Optimization, Tim Ash – SiteTuners.com free resources; Optimizely
- Optimize Landing Pages for Conversions, free eBook from HubSpot
Please note: This list is not all-inclusive and is not intended as a recommendation or endorsement of these outside resources.
Phase II - Become a Rakuten Advertising Publisher
- Review the requirements & recommendations for new publishers
- Join Rakuten Advertising Affiliate Network & set up your account
- Decide which advertiser products to promote
- Build partnerships with advertisers
- Get affiliate links for your site
- Promote affiliate products on your website
- Provide transparency & compliance to terms
- Track earnings & manage your affiliate program
Phase III - Grow your program and your revenue
Once you've registered (it's free) and have been accepted, you'll find more resources in the Help Center to help you with the rest of the steps in the road map. In addition, there are some resources you can use immediately, including our Customer Support team for technical support, and Publisher Newsletters.
Still have more questions? Use the SUPPORT tab at the top of the page or this link to find the email or phone Customer Support contacts for your location.