What is an employer identification number (EIN) and do I need one?

Per the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), "An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity."

Publishers holding business accounts may be required to provide an EIN for tax purposes. Please consult with a legal or accounting resource and visit the IRS page on EINs.

There are three ways to get an EIN:

  • Online at the IRS website: Your EIN will be issued once the application information is validated.
  • By telephone at 1-800-829-4933 from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the local time zone.
  • By mailing or faxing Form SS-4, "Application for Employer Identification Number," to the IRS. 
Was this article helpful?
19 out of 33 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.