Welcome to the Rakuten Affiliate Network - Publisher Help Center! Find hundreds of instructive articles and video tutorials for immediate self-service assistance 24/7. START HERE if you are new to affiliate marketing.

***You must SIGN IN (below right) with your publisher account credentials to see all help articles and to make full use of the Search.***

You can log in to your Publisher Account Dashboard here and select "Rakuten Affiliate Network". If you are not already registered as a publisher SIGN UP now -- it's free!

Publisher Income Tax Forms & Information for Sign-Up

Why do we need your income tax information?

When you sign up to become a publisher in the Rakuten Affiliate Network, we need to collect information in order that we can pay you for your commissions earned. Income tax information is part of the information we are required to get from you.

What income tax information is needed?

Rakuten Affiliate Network provides a list of income tax forms (or tax status) in the online Registration Page to help you choose the appropriate one when you sign up a publisher with our network. Regardless of which country you are based in, you must select one of the forms.  All U.S.-based publishers are required to select the W-9 form. Publishers from all other countries can select either a W-9 form (effective January 21, 2015) if they are liable for paying taxes in the United States, or a W-8 form if not. Please consult a tax expert or the IRS if you need additional information. You do not need to mail or upload the income tax form to us, however. We only ask you to enter the requested information in the registration form online.

You can review a Step-By-Step Guide to Publisher Sign Up for more help with the registration process.


Here are some frequently asked questions and answers you may find helpful:

  • Do I need to mail or upload a tax form to Rakuten Affiliate Network?  No. During the registration process, we ask you to enter your company name and income tax identification information (Social Security number or Employer Identification Number in the US) so that you do not have to submit a physical document.

Note on W-8 Form for Publishers Outside of the United States

As a Rakuten Affiliate Network Publisher based outside of the United States, you have the opportunity to partner with and earn income from U.S. Advertisers.  As such, we are required by the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) to obtain and maintain documentation to certify your non-U.S. status.  If we do not have this certification on file, we are required to apply the applicable withholding tax (currently 30%) when commission payments are made to you on behalf of U.S. Advertisers.

This certification is referred to as your W-8 status.  You must have a W-8 form selected in your Company Information, you do not need to fill out or send us a physical form. There are multiple W-8 forms, and for most Publishers the W-8BEN is appropriate, as it is the form used primarily by entities and individuals to claim foreign status; however, if you need help choosing the appropriate form, please consult a tax expert or the IRS.  A brief description of each form is listed below.  Please refer to the instruction forms for specific details about each W-8 form.

Publishers should contact a tax, legal, or professional advisor to understand the impact of Form W-8 reporting on their business. Information herein does not constitute tax, legal or other professional advice and must not be used as such.

The income tax form resources, below, are provided for your information only (we do not need you to send us the tax form):

1.  W-9- Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification   

Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf               

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw9.pdf


2W-8BEN- Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding        

Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf       

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf


3. W-8IMY- Certificate of Foreign Intermediary, Foreign Flow-Through Entity, or Certain U.S. Branches for United States Tax Withholding  

Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8imy.pdf        

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8imy.pdf


4. W-8ECI- Certificate of Foreign Person’s Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States    

Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8eci.pdf          

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8eci.pdf


5. W-8EXP- Certificate of Foreign Government or Other Foreign Organization for United States Tax Withholding                

Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8exp.pdf

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8exp.pdf





Still have more questions? Use the SUPPORT tab at the top of the page or this link to find the email or phone Customer Support contacts for your location.

Was this article helpful?
10 out of 13 found this helpful

Leave us a comment on this article.

  • Avatar
    Guylaine Milot

    My Cie is base in Canada/Québec wish tax from should I use. As i maybe have brand base in USA.
    Can you help please
    Guylaine Milot

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hi Guylaine,

    Thanks for your question. We always recommend that you contact your own tax advisor for information about tax forms and tax implications.

  • Avatar
    Min Chul Kang

    Thx for information. This helped me choosing the tax form.

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hi Min, I'm glad it was helpful!

  • Avatar
    Nathan Christensen

    Will LInkshare send me a 1099 for 2015? Or how do I get that? Thanks

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hi Nathan, if you were due a 1099 for 2015 you should have received it by the end of January 2016. Here's an article that explains more details: https://pubhelp.rakutenmarketing.com/hc/en-us/articles/201250627 If you have further questions, please contact Customer Support for your country and they will be happy to help you.

  • Avatar
    Padraigin Tierney

    I'm from Ireland so I choose foreign for legal entity type and I just wanted to check if that's the right choice or should I have chosen individual. Also, as Ireland has a treaty with the US to prevent double taxation, should I be checking the "exempt from backup withholding" box.

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hi Padraigin, welcome to our network from Ireland! If you will kindly contact Customer Support for your country, they will be happy to assist you with the specifics of registering your publisher account properly. You can find their contact information here: https://pubhelp.rakutenmarketing.com/hc/articles/201695777-What-is-the-best-way-to-contact-Publisher-Support-.

  • Avatar

    Hi Sally, I am Dipak from Canada. How can I submit W-8BEN form? Can I submit it online? Please advise. Thanks

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hi Dipak, welcome from Canada! Please follow the links in the article above to the IRS information about the tax form. You may also want to consult your tax advisor for assistance.

  • Avatar
    Barbara Radisavljevic

    I found the W-9 form, but can I sign it digitally, save it, and upload it or do I have to actually sign and scan it and then upload it -- much more trouble.

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hi Barbara, all we need when you fill out the registration form to become a publisher in the Rakuten Affiliate Network is for you to enter your individual or sole proprietor Social Security number or your Employer Identification Number (EIN) if you file your taxes as a business employer. We do not need a copy of your W-9. Hope that's helpful. If you have further questions related to publisher registration, please contact our Customer Support team. You can find their contact information in the Support tab at the top of this page.

    Edited by SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion
  • Avatar
    Victor Leopoldo Castillo Cavazos

    BUEN DIA SALLY SOY VICTOR DE MÉXICO. A mi me gustaria la retención del 30% cada vez que se me realice un pago al no tener la certificación en el expediente. Que debo hacer?.

  • Avatar
    SallyAnne - Senior Education Strategist & Customer Success Champion

    Hello Victor from Mexico! I'm sorry, but I can only respond in English here in the Help Center. Please contact Customer Support and they can assist you in Spanish. Here is a link to their contact information - https://pubhelp.rakutenmarketing.com/hc/en-us/articles/201695777-What-is-the-best-way-to-contact-Publisher-Support-

Powered by Zendesk