Publisher Income Tax Forms & Information for Sign-Up
Why do we need your income tax information?
When you sign up to become a publisher in the Rakuten Affiliate Network, we need to collect information in order that we can pay you for your commissions earned. Income tax information is part of the information we are required to get from you.
What income tax information is needed?
Rakuten Affiliate Network provides a list of income tax forms (or tax status) in the online Registration Page to help you choose the appropriate one when you sign up a publisher with our network. Regardless of which country you are based in, you must select one of the forms. All U.S.-based publishers are required to select the W-9 form. Publishers from all other countries can select either a W-9 form (effective January 21, 2015) if they are liable for paying taxes in the United States, or a W-8 form if not. Please consult a tax expert or the IRS if you need additional information. You do not need to mail or upload the income tax form to us, however. We only ask you to enter the requested information in the registration form online.
You can review a Step-By-Step Guide to Publisher Sign Up for more help with the registration process.
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers you may find helpful:
- Do I need to mail or upload a tax form to Rakuten Affiliate Network? No. During the registration process, we ask you to enter your company name and income tax identification information (Social Security number or Employer Identification Number in the US) so that you do not have to submit a physical document.
Note on W-8 Form for Publishers Outside of the United States
As a Rakuten Affiliate Network Publisher based outside of the United States, you have the opportunity to partner with and earn income from U.S. Advertisers. As such, we are required by the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) to obtain and maintain documentation to certify your non-U.S. status. If we do not have this certification on file, we are required to apply the applicable withholding tax (currently 30%) when commission payments are made to you on behalf of U.S. Advertisers.
This certification is referred to as your W-8 status. You must have a W-8 form selected in your Company Information, you do not need to fill out or send us a physical form. There are multiple W-8 forms, and for most Publishers the W-8BEN is appropriate, as it is the form used primarily by entities and individuals to claim foreign status; however, if you need help choosing the appropriate form, please consult a tax expert or the IRS. A brief description of each form is listed below. Please refer to the instruction forms for specific details about each W-8 form.
Publishers should contact a tax, legal, or professional advisor to understand the impact of Form W-8 reporting on their business. Information herein does not constitute tax, legal or other professional advice and must not be used as such.
The income tax form resources, below, are provided for your information only (we do not need you to send us the tax form):
1. W-9- Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
2. W-8BEN- Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding
3. W-8IMY- Certificate of Foreign Intermediary, Foreign Flow-Through Entity, or Certain U.S. Branches for United States Tax Withholding
4. W-8ECI- Certificate of Foreign Person’s Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States
5. W-8EXP- Certificate of Foreign Government or Other Foreign Organization for United States Tax Withholding
Still have more questions? Use the SUPPORT tab at the top of the page or this link to find the email or phone Customer Support contacts for your location.